Originally Posted by Dude
You don't have to participate in society, either. You could go live on an island somewhere and pay no taxes. If you choose to live somewhere else, you're accepting the responsibilities that go along with the benefits of said society.

Agreed, however, the rules of our society in the U.S. do not include paying for an adult's education. Find me where that is a right in our Constitution or it's amendments and we have a different discussion.

Back to the medical analogy, just by participating and financing other people's treatments, you're pushing down the cost of treatment while advancing knowledge of how to do so. All this will benefit you further down the line, because regardless of whether you or your loved ones ever get a malignant tumor, the odds that none of you ever get an expensive and difficult condition are, assuming you live a normal life span, nearly zero.

Regardless, as an adult I have no right to make you pay for my treatment. As an adult, you have no right to the services or property of others.

I can endorse the leadership and discipline qualities, which is why I appear to grasp social responsibility at a level far beyond you. As for paying for college, you shouldn't believe everything you read on a recruiting poster.

Currently two of my eldest son's best friends had both had their college all but paid for by the U.S. military, one of the including a graduate degree, so I can be assured it's not just a fake worm on a recruiting poster.

As for societal responsibility, you make mass assumptions which don't become you, I fulfill my societal responsibility quite generously of my own free will, I don't need the government to use force for me to do so....and that's where my objection is, not to fulfill societal and moral obligations but to be forced by threat in order to do so.

And finally, don't pretend you're performing any kind of charity by funding the military. You're benefiting far beyond your contributions, and most of the individuals involved are grossly underpaid. There's a reason why "thank you for your service" has become a thing.

You're welcome, btw.

At no point did I indicate that my taxes toward toward the military are charity. I receive a valuable service in exchange for them. My point which you failed to understand is, this is a viable option for financing college.

You're welcome as well btw. Combat Engineer here.

You stop being the responsibility of society and start being responsible FOR society. That's what being an adult in a society means. You're basically arguing that you should be able to accept the gifts of living in a society, with none of the responsibilities.

Once again, you assume FAR too much. The presumption, as I far too often see, is that societal duties and responsibilities can ONLY be fulfilled though the government. Real adults don't need the government to hold their hand and force them to do so, they do so of their own free will.

Now I'd suggest that you cease with the personal character attacks and making mass assumptions about belief systems and values as it becomes neither of us.

Last edited by Old Dad; 04/19/18 01:16 PM.