Originally Posted by aquinas
... accept responsibility (as taxpayers) for supporting the development of children where their families cannot sustain that burden, in part or in whole.
There are many US taxpayer-funded programs which do this.

It is my understanding that you reside in Canada
In Canada, where I live... tuition is more affordable here, and student debt is dischargeable
Do you pay taxes to fund the US government?

he reason why I'm hesitant to approach post-secondary access solely through the lens of affordability at point of tuition payment. The issue of affordability and access is better addressed--and more comprehensively so--by tackling the larger challenge of creating a social ecosystem, from birth, that allows children from impoverished families to prosper. Pricing of post-secondary tuition remains a challenge to address, but one which is then secondary.
Do I understand correctly that you are in favor of free tuition at US public universities?
And other financial supports as well?

any one of us could have been subject to starting conditions which could have substantially hindered our development
Yes, I'm aware of many that have.

Why accept that for our fellow humans, most especially for children, if we wouldn't want it for ourselves or our own families?
There are many options available for becoming upwardly mobile in US society, most involving struggle and sacrifice, and developing internal locus of control.

As to the research links, aquinas, please remember that correlation does not imply causation. Do you have studies which go beyond correlation to prove causation? Perhaps we have come full circle, and not advanced understanding,as this seems to repeat earlier posts seeking clarification...