Originally Posted by BSM
Same experience here. After he got our IEP, the school personnel seemed to lose their ability to think outside the box and instead followed the IEP to the letter even when a strategy wasn't working.
We haven't had a problem with following 504 (kind of the opposite, in fact) but I agree with the problem-solving comment.

Originally Posted by DeeDee
Did the teacher show any sign of understanding or willingness to accommodate?
I couldn't tell one way or the other. Both teacher and DS were pretty quiet. smirk Since DS brought home his completed project (ugh), my guess is the teacher didn't understand what I meant about checking for understanding. To be fair, this is a strange problem. Why on earth would DS bring home a completed project? I think it didn't occur to the teacher to ask him if he was finished with it, because most kids would say that if the teacher told them to take it home to finish. Maybe I should have sent bullet points--1) Please ask DS if he is finished and 2) If he isn't, please make sure he packs the project to complete at home.

I've never asked the teachers to check that he has materials to bring home, but it *is* in the 504, so I thought it would be okay to send a reminder when DS had missed class the day before. I have the sense this teacher will follow the 504 but will not do anything else that is "extra." I don't know that with any certainty, though, and the meeting was kind of a flop.

Originally Posted by spaghetti
Checking for understanding DURING the meeting, IN FRONT OF the teacher can be eye opening for the teacher. If mom says, DS doesn't understand... that's a whole lot different from "DS when you looked at the board, did you think it said to read chapter 17 and answer the questions?"

Make sure it is done in an information seeking way rather than a time to beat up on DS or the teacher. So if your DS says no, you don't let anyone say, "well everyone else seems to get it" or "what do you think CHPT means?" It's a time to see how teacher thinks and how DS thinks.
I did this in our meeting last week. I asked DS to look at the board, and explain what he would write in his planner. DS' response was: "all of it." It was clear he has no idea--there was a lot of info on the board he wouldn't need. I tried to explain that what needs to be recorded is information that will help him understand specifics of the assignment if he can't remember, but it was like I was speaking a foreign language.

Since the teacher didn't volunteer much, I don't know if he noticed what I was trying to explain.