Originally Posted by eco21268
As for expressive language--I don't know, but there is something going on with language. I don't know if it's purely pragmatic. Here is an example:

Q: How did Japan's geography influence the diet of the people?
DS writes: They ate fish.

When I asked him to elaborate, he said: it's an island. I asked for more, he said: because it's an island, they are surrounded by water, and fish are plentiful. When I told him that's what he needs to write, he said that is dumb, anybody would understand what he meant when he said "they ate fish." I told him that makes him look like he's being lazy and he had no idea why that would be.

This is a perspective-taking problem. He knows the teacher knows this information, so there is no point in his telling her.

At the same time, he also cannot imagine someone else NOT having the information HE has in his head-- so again, no point explaining. The whole thing feels darned ridiculous to him.

We had a lot of trouble with "show your work" in math, as well. In elementary DS used to write "My brain told me the answer." Um, yeah.

This level of "efficiency" would be hilarious if it weren't so disabling.

We have worked through "pretend someone doesn't know the answer and write it on your paper like you're explaining it to THAT person" and "I know the teacher knows, but tell it to her anyway, because she has to have PROOF that you know before she is allowed to let you move on. Those are the rules that the teachers go by."

Originally Posted by eco21268
I really don't think it would be possible for him to be less organized. He is always several steps behind everyone else (literally and figuratively). I think this is a really complex problem--maybe it's all EF related, probably. But it's like pretty much every area of EF is impaired.

BTDT. And yes, largely EF. Best bet right now is to support what you can and document every problem.

The clock is ticking on their educational eval, yes? Do you know whether they will accept your outside neuropsych report in lieu of testing?

I am feeling the sooner they upgrade your DS to an IEP, the better. He needs the services.