Originally Posted by Nautigal
And DeeDee, my DS has always been that one who puts "because I know it" on the line for "how do you know?" laugh Or "because I'm smart." Or "because that's the answer." And in many cases, I've been at a loss to see what else he might be supposed to say. How do you explain how you know that 7 plus 5 equals 12? Because it does.

Eco, I am so with you in this.
It's good to have some company, even though I'm sorry you are dealing with this, too! What's strange is that DS does not seem to have advanced one iota in this through all the years of school. These answers look the same as they did in K. It was cute back then...

I asked history teacher if he will print DS' assignments and give feedback (i.e. let us know which ones he counted wrong) but have not heard back. He's suddenly getting much lower scores on his assignments. This is all pretty disconcerting.

Originally Posted by aeh
BTW, 30 days is for completing the evaluation, in most states, not just responding to the request. The timeline shouldn't be more than 60 days from end to end.

ETA: of course, those are school days, not calendar days.
This is good information! It's impossible to understand all of this stuff.

Originally Posted by geofizz
Originally Posted by Nautigal
And DeeDee, my DS has always been that one who puts "because I know it" on the line for "how do you know?" laugh Or "because I'm smart." Or "because that's the answer." And in many cases, I've been at a loss to see what else he might be supposed to say. How do you explain how you know that 7 plus 5 equals 12? Because it does.

Eco, I am so with you in this.
Totally off topic, but once on a worksheet, there was a "workspace" and a box for the answer. DD wrote the answer in the box, and wrote "dining room table" in the workspace.

More on topic, eco, to your examples (and Nautigal, too), again, I view these things through a lens of expressive speech as much as perspective taking, and I see a lot of not knowing what to say and covering for it by saying it's dumb, obvious, or idiotic. We've seen great progress through systematically teaching how to provide presuppositional information. The SLP defined "presuppositional" first, they went through a series of exercises identifying what in a statement was the presuppositional information, and then practiced adding such statements to answers. It was done speaking first, and as DS has gotten much better at this, we've worked on integrating the skills into his writing.
HAHAHA on the workspace. I really do love these answers. I can't help it. I don't like the "they are idiots" ones DS defaults to on his papers but that should be easily remedied.

I *really* hope that DS can get some SL therapy at school. If he can't, I'm going to take him to the university clinic. I do think there is something going on with his language but do not understand any of this well enough to speculate about it. I can tell it's very difficult for him to interpret questions I ask him about things (especially open-ended) but he can chatter away endlessly and coherently about his interests.

As an aside: one of the things NP noted on her ADOS report was that DS made odd observations about a picture that he was supposed to "tell a story about," including "that airplane doesn't have a practical design, its nose is too rounded" and "that person has only four fingers" among others. She said he did a great job using a lot of expression and drama in his voice, with accents, but was unable to produce a cohesive narrative. I am not 100% sure he couldn't do this task, if given a lot of time and some leading questions, but he is definitely not quick-on-the-draw with things like this. He does write creative stories for fun, and writes well, but they are plot-driven (linear). And I admit he rarely finishes one.

She called that a perspective-taking issue, I think, too. I can't remember all of it.