Originally Posted by eco21268
I will call the SPED process coordinator and ask about RTI--is that under IDEA and not ADA? (Different people in charge of each.)

Talk to the process coordinator-- it's part of IDEA 2004, but the flow of money is more complicated in ways I don't entirely understand.

The upshot of RtI is "don't delay help until the IEP identification process is finished-- try an appropriate evidence-based intervention first and see if it works."

It seems like his medication is working, no behavioral issues reported at all--and even better, he does not seem to be having issues with side effects. I'm asking because I wonder if meds were working optimally, if this would be less problematic. I don't know if it's that he isn't hearing directions, or the "turn in" piece simply does not compute.

The meds will enable him to learn the skills-- but they will not replace or activate missing skills.

You are going to have to teach him (and get school to teach him) to do this. It's a big job. But it can be done.

This has always been a problem, except in classes where the routine stays exactly the same every day--or where the teacher prompts all students for homework. It feels more ASD to me (very scientific, yes?) but I can't articulate my reasons.

I think it's a mix. Not knowing that an indirect prompt applies to oneself is very ASD. Not caring, once the work is done, whether anyone else has seen it (because we *know* it's done...) is very ASD. Not remembering to turn things in can be ADHD or ASD.

Point is, regardless of where it comes from, it needs to be worked on-- it's an essential functional skill. (NB functional skills are covered under IDEA.)