Originally Posted by DeeDee
The upshot of RtI is "don't delay help until the IEP identification process is finished-- try an appropriate evidence-based intervention first and see if it works.".
We do have RTI in our state; however, I don't know if RTI includes any actual pull-out or push-in services, or if it's all about the existing teachers trying interventions. Arguably, they are doing this with the accommodations. I think he needs an actual, trained, SPED teacher who understands the EF stuff because it is severe, and he is not responding whatsoever to the standard stuff--basically, what's happening right now is that I am over-functioning and teachers are accommodating and DS is still unaffected and not learning the organizational skills.

The meds will enable him to learn the skills-- but they will not replace or activate missing skills.
I think this may be the most profound thing I've ever read about medication. Very meaningful. Thank you.

I think it's a mix. Not knowing that an indirect prompt applies to oneself is very ASD. Not caring, once the work is done, whether anyone else has seen it (because we *know* it's done...) is very ASD. Not remembering to turn things in can be ADHD or ASD.

Point is, regardless of where it comes from, it needs to be worked on-- it's an essential functional skill. (NB functional skills are covered under IDEA.)
Yes, I agree. I am still trying to conceptualize ASD and I think the reason it feels more ASD to me is that it feels like it's actually kind of a social skill, as much as an organizational issue. DD, for instance, would look around and notice what other students were doing and do the same, if she were confused. She talks on the phone with her friends about assignments, asks questions, etc. Some of this is probably influenced by gender.
But I think boys, too, would generally notice what their peers were doing in the classroom--especially if they were interacting! And DS is social, he has friends he chats with during class, etc.

I think the autism is what's making it so hard to communicate with DS about this issue, and is the more frustrating part, because I can't seem to get through to him. He does not appear at all anxious about any of this--very matter of fact. He would totally freak out, though, if he was removed from the program.