Originally Posted by DeeDee
We had a lot of trouble with "show your work" in math, as well. In elementary DS used to write "My brain told me the answer." Um, yeah.

This level of "efficiency" would be hilarious if it weren't so disabling.
Okay--so I did actually LOL (gallows humor) reading this, thank you. Part of the problem is that it's easy for me to understand (because of the whole apple/tree thing) his process, so it's fairly easy to know how to help him elaborate. I hope I can convince the teacher that he really isn't being a smart @$$. That is the problem.

We have worked through "pretend someone doesn't know the answer and write it on your paper like you're explaining it to THAT person" and "I know the teacher knows, but tell it to her anyway, because she has to have PROOF that you know before she is allowed to let you move on. Those are the rules that the teachers go by."
I'm going to use this. DS is crazy about his 6-year old cousin and very patient with him, so I will tell him to pretend he is explaining to his cousin. I think he can do that.

The clock is ticking on their educational eval, yes? Do you know whether they will accept your outside neuropsych report in lieu of testing?

I am feeling the sooner they upgrade your DS to an IEP, the better. He needs the services.
If I understood correctly, they will accept the NP report, diagnostically. I want a speech/language evaluation and stated that in my letter. I think he needs further testing and specific interventions for social communication.

I also think he should work with a special ed teacher during study hall on the EF stuff. And a behavior plan. Etc., etc., etc.

I guess the clock is ticking. I think they have 30 days from the time I request the eval to respond. After that, the time frame is unclear--maybe it's 60 days? So we have a long way to go.

OTOH--if DS can make it through this year without getting a D in anything--his probationary status in the gifted program is lifted. So for eighth grade, there wouldn't be this gauntlet hanging over his head and I could back off a little and see what works and what doesn't.

That's really the most stressful part of all this. If he is removed from the program, I'll have no idea where to go with him, since he's in both MS and HS classes right now (but more HS).