Originally Posted by DeeDee
I agree. And you can ask for that to be put into place even before the IEP as part of an RTI process (response to intervention). They may say no at first, but I would ask them about RTI and see what they say; it should be on the table.

(And of course, if it works, RTI says they should keep doing it.)

At minimum, a check-in at the end of the day to make sure (I mean *really* make sure, not just ask him) that every piece he needs to bring home comes home. On flash drive etc. if not on paper.

Really you want this in study hall, too, so that he knows what he's supposed to be doing and starts to learn to check for himself.

Yeah, I have this pipe dream that now that I have a better understanding, I can immediately begin helping DS learn some of this at home--but then these things just derail me. What difference does it make if he can't even manage to turn in his work? (I know that sounds self-pitying, but it's so frustrating!) I really think we are operating from ground zero. I am trying to teach him things he should have learned years ago, but didn't, because A) I allowed it and B) he always seemed to be succeeding at school. smirk

I will call the SPED process coordinator and ask about RTI--is that under IDEA and not ADA? (Different people in charge of each.)

Originally Posted by DeeDee
I agree; this is crazy-making. These are buildable skills, but only with direct instruction and support-- otherwise he will continue to flail.
Is this the ASD or the ADHD (or is that a stupid question?) It seems like his medication is working, no behavioral issues reported at all--and even better, he does not seem to be having issues with side effects. I'm asking because I wonder if meds were working optimally, if this would be less problematic. I don't know if it's that he isn't hearing directions, or the "turn in" piece simply does not compute.

This has always been a problem, except in classes where the routine stays exactly the same every day--or where the teacher prompts all students for homework. It feels more ASD to me (very scientific, yes?) but I can't articulate my reasons.

This is a difficult one to explain to the teachers, since I don't even get it. At all.