Originally Posted by DeeDee
I would be very, very careful if this is his main form of entertainment/unwinding. You don't want to end up in a situation where he doesn't earn, gets angry at himself, and spirals downward instead of upward. (Ask me how I know this.... )

Does your DS generally respond to rewards? Some kids do, some don't.

DS13 does, but ultimately what was powerful for him with schoolwork was success. We said, "We are going to help you do this right so you can see how well you can succeed." Then we did everything we could (including putting help into place at school and making clear to DS what that was for) to help him get things done.

Eventually (and it did take a while) he did finally see that when he gets the planner checked, he IS less frustrated and DOES do the work better and DOES get better grades. This learning is not fast.

Things to try:
--Homework to turn in goes in a clear folder so he can see it in there.
--Homework to turn in gets brightly colored tape flags
--As each item is handed in, it gets crossed off in the planner. At day's end, anything not crossed off needs to be found and turned in.

Ultimately, there is a limit on what you can do from home. (This is all I've got.) What helped DS was regular support at school plus the accommodation of emailing work.
The only reward DS is responsive to is verbal praise and relationships (people liking/affirming him). That is sad and ironic.

I have a cache of folders. Will try the clear one for homework.

FWIW, I'm relieved you don't recommend taking away his computer time. I don't think the EF stuff is within his control right now so punishing doesn't make sense.

He's not fighting homework so that is progress already. I introduced the vibrating watch idea, he's chewing on that one (but initial reaction was NO!--alarms are one of his older phobias--I'd forgotten that. He really hates surprises of any sort).

I think I need to decide for myself not to sweat the scanning for now. And maybe map out my own IEP at home. Not feeling a lot of support from the gifted component of his program, but the high school side is running quite well. Also sad and ironic. I know their position is he shouldn't be in the program if he can't hack it. Mine is we'd have these issues anywhere in MS so he should at least have challenging curriculum.