Originally Posted by blackcat
I don't know how it is in every state, but in this one only some of the schools do RTI (ours does not). Some schools require an RTI process before they would make a student eligible for an IEP (at least with some disabilities, like learning disabilities). They plan interventions, track progress, and then only write an IEP if the student does not improve X amount.

Did you have a meeting yet and did they say anything about an IEP?

And what medication do you have him on? I tried a trial without guanfacine and am seeing what I think is a deterioration. I want to give it a couple more days then add it back in. That's wonderful that you aren't having any med problems or side effects from meds!
Yes, (third) request for evaluation is in process. I think there is a better chance of getting IEP now, with the NP report that is filled with teacher data about functional behavior.

I will PM you on the med thing! It is a huge relief to see him balanced. I hope it lasts. I'm not sure how much puberty interfered last year, but I think it was part of the problem.

Originally Posted by polarbear
eco, does your ds ride the bus to/from school or does someone pick him up? If someone picks him up, I'd seriously have that person not just pick him up, but go into school, ask him to tell them what he did in each class that day, show him what is on his homework list for each class (and be sure he's got it written down), and then check his backpack and locker to be sure he has all of the books/etc he needs to do his homework, as well as a clear understanding of what his homework is before he leaves school. Also double-check to make sure yesterday's homework was turned in and not still hanging out somewhere in his backpack or locker. I know that this will sound like a lot of time and way-helicoptery to parents of kids who don't have organizational challenges, and also may sound like a crutch *plus* it may sound like it's exactly what the school should already be doing but..... I'll explain why below smile
He rides the bus home. I was hoping to hire someone for after-school this year, but it's not financially feasible at this time. It might be later in the year. For now, the extended time makes it so I can do this--except it's in the morning (the next day) and while that prevents collateral damage, it's not helping him learn the skills. My busiest work time is right after school so I can't do pick up.

This has been very true for my ds, and continues to be true. He's in high school and doing much better with keeping track of his work, but he still does better with keeping up with organization in classes with teachers who are very structured and repetitive in their work expectations. One part of that is simply that it's more structured - I think in reality a more repetitive structure is easier for *any* of us to handle, no matter how well organized we are smile For a student who's challenged with organizational skills, having that structure is a built-in form of support. For my ds, it was great that he had one teacher like that each year of school from middle school on (it's usually been his math class because math is always taught from a textbook, relies heavily on homework for each topic, and doesn't require projects or a lot of deep introspective work lol!). The great thing about having at least one class like this is it gives the organizationally-challenged student one place to be successful and realize that *yes*, they CAN do it. It also helped, I think, eventually, my ds start to understand how to approach other classes by building in some routine of his own to his organizational approach.
Yes, it's math where he manages to stay on top of things. smile He doesn't really like math. He prefers the less structured classes, ironically, but I think that's because he likes to be left alone to goof around with buddies and create his own projects (a constant battle).
I totally understand how crazy this can make a parent feel - I've so been there! Still am many times!!! The thing that I do when it starts to really get to me is to remember how frustrating it must be for my ds, because it really and truly does not come naturally to him and is something that he has had to have taught.
He doesn't seem frustrated! I think that makes it even more frustrating. He does not seem to speak the language of organization. He will look at me and parrot back the "right answer" and then just wander off. Ugh! The only way to get his attention is to get very emotional and explain to him that his placement is in danger. He will get upset if I'm upset, but otherwise it's a lost cause. NOT the way I like to operate.