Giftedness did not affect our plans... We had always envisioned 2 children but not more unless we run into unplanned surprise. Age was a big driver for us since we are on the older side and I definitely felt the second pregnancy was harder on me physically and especially mentally (nothing like having security at my work place asking me if I can just park in the visitors parking so that they did not worry if I will make it to the building). DS is one day shy of being 2 years older than DD and he was born one day shy of my birthday. He was very sensitive but fairly easy baby (calm, loves new experiences and laughed a lot as a baby). If we had DD first, I think we would have been too tired to have a second until another year or so later.

I like having two because I feel like it stops us from hovering over one child since we are the type to get obsessive about minor details. But I know I don't want to deal with a third pregnancy since I am older and just don't bounce back from physical stress that easily - heck, every time I get a bug, it takes me longer to get over it. Forget the 9 months of pregnancy. If I were 10 years younger, I would probably consider another - but I may also regret not having done all that I did before having kids, so I have no regrets on having them at this point in my life.