...or did it, even?

A highly sensitive, idiosyncratic, and personal topic, I know. To what extent did your first child's giftedness/OEs influence your decision to add (or not add) to your family, as well as impact decisions about child spacing?

DH and I feel DS2.9 is the crown jewel of our marriage. We've both begun to contemplate what life would be like with a DS-sibling, be a new arrival a year or four away, if ever. For the life of me--as an only child myself and a (dare I say it) uber/over involved mother--I draw a blank at formulating a mental model for parenthood with >1 gifted child. DS is a tornado; an affectionate, nursing, wonderful whirlwind of smiling, giggling toddlerhood, but a maelstrom of inquisitiveness and activity nonetheless.

I am only just now truly emerging from the caul of new parenthood and tackling some entrepreneurial ventures as a Serious Adult again. Part of me feels invincible for having successfully shepherded DS--admittedly a child on the far right tail for energy and activity, with a side order of SPD--to this point. Am I insane to envision a fourth family member?

(I should add that if DH and I were somehow unable to have another child, we would both still be thrilled to parent DS-the-only-child.)

Public comments and PMs welcome on both sides of the discussion!

What is to give light must endure burning.