I am an only and it's fine; there are positives and negatives. I never would have had as many opportunities for camps, volunteer work, etc., with a sibling due to the effort and expense involved. At the same time, I know people so have wonderfully close relationships with siblings and that must be a very special thing.

I had hoped my kids would be good friends, but they really aren't. Hopefully they will be closer as they get older, but they generally fight with each ofher (at least, my very intense daughter gets upset with her brother for one thing or another and poor DS gives up trying to play with her). My dad and his brother were both very intense and apparently my dad was sent to boarding school to separate them and stop the fighting (I'm sure there were other considerations, but that was a big one). They were never able to get along, even as adults. I hope my kids will have a much better relationship than that, but my point is that having siblings to provide companions for each other is no guarantee that they will cooperate.

My daughter loves her cousins and it is wonderful to see them together, so that is the closest thing we have to sibling connections.