This fits more with the earlier posts in this thread.
Even though we're not leaving elementary we're just now joining it.
My husband said, "our son can read already", at meet the teacher yesterday.  I said, "I think he reads at a second grade level.  I would have told you privately after the meeting". The teacher said, "just tell me if he knows the sight words I send home and I'll give him the next sheet".  

Then we met a friend in the parking lot outside and my husband said, "I don't know why you were embarrassed".  Our friend said, "Some parents will talk about you and say your son's just smart because you worked with him, but don't be embarrassed about your son.  You should be proud of your son.  He's doing good". 

My sister runs a home preschool and she tells everybody her son can read, partially because he's smart, but also because she works with him.  She said some parents take that the wrong way, like she's saying their kid's not smart, but all she's saying is that she does work with the kids a little each day while they're there. 

I think mothers act differently than guys, more competition.  My husband says he tells the guys at work I'm introducing division to our kid, and all the guys are impressed.  All most all the guys brag about their kids, he says.  Also, if I say anything, I only say what he can do consistently, not what he's done a few times or is starting to learn.  

There you go; by trying to be socially appropriate I've been told twice that looks more like I'm embarrassed of my son.  Once from another housewife who admitted that some other parents will say he's just smart because I've worked with him.   She still said by hesitating to talk about it I'm acting like I'm ashamed of my son.  

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar