I just watch what I say and who I say it to. (Mind you, my kids aren't teens yet so maybe the dynamic will change). I'm lucky as well in that I have friends with gifted kids, so I have people I can talk to.

The issue that I have is people not understanding their emotional intensities (but that's a whole other thread ;)) It's easy to not talk about the gifted math program that starts for DD9 in September, but when she overreacts to a friend's comment or gets overly competitive or riled up and loses her social graces, that's more of a challenge at this point. People just think she's a brat. sigh.

Anyway, I just choose who I talk to very carefully. The same goes for another giftie Mom friend of mine. And you're right - people treat athletically, musically and artistically talented kids much differently than they do intellectually advanced kids.

I've mulled over what sociological/anthropological reason(s) could explain it (like, way back in time, the jocks were the food catchers, the artists were the cave painters, the musical ones made people happy, but the smart ones were misunderstood and thought to be crazy? Dunno). Also when people see art and sport or hear music, they think "I could do that if I practiced" but when they see evidence of higher intellect it makes them feel badly about whatever talents they may possess so they get defensive.

Whatever. sigh.

Last edited by CCN; 08/21/12 11:32 AM.