Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by Iucounu
Cognitive ability is different because it's not subject to such hard physical limits...

Are you sure of that? I'm going to have to ask for evidence for your entire first sentence.

Still waiting for hard scientific evidence.

Originally Posted by Iucounu
They have physical limits, sure ... but ones like electrochemical transmission rates etc. are pretty much irrelevant in my opinion to discussing ability, in a non-disabled human, to learn to think abstractly. ... Muscles are completely different; muscles move through a predetermined range and have an easily understood physical functions and limits.

I didn't mention rates specifically. I just said "processes," which also can include the amount of a particular neurotransmitter. There may also be anatomical considerations, such as the amount of white matter, myelin thickness, placement or number of synaptic connections, and on and on.

Again, you're going to have to give me hard scientific evidence for your ideas in order to convince me.

Also, and this is something I didn't mention in my last message --- much athletic ability also depends on brainpower. Aspiring pro athletes, for example, have to take the Wonderlic test, which is a test of cognitive ability. There are minimum scores for different positions (e.g. quarterbacks need higher scores than most other positions). This makes perfect sense: to be a good quarterback, you need more than muscles. You also have to make a rapid assessment of conditions on the field and be able to make a correct split-second decision about the best person to throw the ball to.

Your basic argument is that teaching affects intelligence. It's a nice idea and I wish it were true, but I don't believe it is. Good teaching can have a huge effect on comprehension, but understanding something because someone explained it well isn't the same thing as getting smarter because someone explained something well.

Originally Posted by Iocounu
I think that cognitive talent is part biological, and part environmental. Stimulation increases intelligence. A biological advantage is an advantage, but that doesn't mean it's the only possible advantage.

Studies have shown that permanent environmental effects are modest and more striking effects are temporary. Scientific studies support this point. For example, JamieH mentioned the discredited twin study and provided references.

Here's an example of a large and very well-known study. It showed that intensive interventions between the ages of 0 and 5 in low premature children had an obvious effect at age three that started to peter out after that.

Originally Posted by IHDP Study summary
At age 36 months, investigators found that children in the intervention group had higher scores than children in the follow-up group on tests of [lots of things]... McCarton et al. (1997) found that there were no overall significant differences between the intervention and follow-up groups [at age 8].

However, the subsample of children in the intervention group who were "heavier" at birth had higher scores on several cognitive tests ... than the subsample of "heavier" children in the follow-up group. The difference between the two groups was smaller than that seen at age 3, so the effects of IHDP had faded a bit over time. As for the "lighter" subsample of the intervention group... all of the earlier positive effects had disappeared by age 8.

Another study called the Abecedarian study showed real but modest gains: the average IQ in the intervention group was around 4 points higher than the controls. I don't know the statistical significance of this difference.

That said, there were other real gains, as the Wikipedia entry shows. Yet they were modest: fewer criminals, fewer teenage pregnancies, and more people in college at age 21 (no mention of how many graduated and what they studied).

If the treatment group (but not the control group) had produced, say, a theoretical physicist or a neuroscientist, the people running the project would have plastered this fact all over the place. I can't find anything along these lines. The study subjects were all born in the early to mid-1970s --- making the oldest ones are 39. We would have heard by now if this had happened.

So yes, there were gains, but no, they didn't turn people of below average intelligence (the average IQ at age 15 was in the 90s for both groups) into very smart people. They just made them less below-average. See page 44 of this report for IQ scores. Note that IQ scores in the control group went up while those in the intervention group went down. What does this mean?

Everything I've written goes back to one idea: talent exists, and it's real. It would be nice if we could make individuals more talented, but we can't really. We can make them a bit more talented, which is great. It's too bad our society doesn't put more emphasis on free pre-natal care, high-quality school lunches and other critical social programs. If we cared more about poor people, we'd try to ensure that they get medical care, food, and safe housing. These interventions would probably go a long way toward raising our society's average IQ and making life better for the poor.

Originally Posted by Iocounu
I firmly believe that I could take any ordinary baby and turn it into one heck of a college applicant, starting early enough...I really think anyone could go to college if they were taught correctly, and that in a perfect world, everyone would. It's not a perfect world.

You're assuming that going to college is part of a perfect world. Yet some people have no interest in college. Why should their aspirations be considered less worthy than some arbitrary ideal just because of this?

Val