This conversation is moving into an area in which I am frustratingly naive, but I really want to understand this better:

A friend was recently telling me about the "imminent collapse of the dollar" and advising me to buy silver. He said that the price of silver would escalate and bring down one of the biggest banks and he said the Chinese were advising their citizens to buy silver. I asked why the Chinese would want to expedite the collapse of the dollar since they owned our debt.

He then told me that the Federal Reserve owns the US debt and the FED is actually privately owned by the a few wealthy families. If you Google "who owns the FED?" some really interesting stories come up, implying that the two US presidents to challenge the constitutional existence of the Federal Reserve System were assassinated. There are references cited for most of the claims, I haven't had time to check them all out yet but I am fascinated. If true, this is really alarming, if not, it would make the best conspiracy theory of all time I cant believe no one has made a movie about it.

I think this forum is made up of some of the most thoughtful/intellectual folks I know so I am hoping someone here can enlighten me further on this.