I'm with Wren. �I'm trying to give my kids Chinese. �We already live in a Spanglish town. �But alternately I am not disbelieving in the future of America. �I liked a comment someone made on one of the wsj or nyt articles linked to from here. �So what America's jobs are being outsourced. �Americans are strong and healthy we'll survive, but will we be prepared when the jobs wave flows back.

Sorry to pick out the political tangents here. �Just went to a town hall meeting and afterwards decided I really need to find a good civics books cliff notes so I can quickly learn and be sure what these people's jobs are I'm supposed to be voting for. �It bothered me hearing people in town who are involved enough to go to meetings sounding like they don't know either. �I just lurked there this time. �

Uhm. �Schoolwork. �Haven't seen the movie. �And lucounu I think most people could be taught (fill in the blank) from whatever age they start, provided they �have enough free time to learn whatever prerequisites, if they're stubborn enough to take as long as it takes. �I'll credit Val with this following thought: but everybody needs to allow for failure. �It is reality. �How can you really advance if you can't acknowledge the reality of a failure when you see it? �I'm also with Val saying, not everybody needs to learn (fill in the blank), why would they want to? �
Heck, not everybody even wants Their cognitive components tuned to peak performance, much less trained beyond their natural inclinations.
I'll try to get back to thinking about the school system and nature vs nurture now.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar