Originally Posted by Wren
And the result was: (drum roll please) that when I hit the workplace, and the challenge was too easy, there was something wrong. When I could get the job done, quickly and easily --Ren

To me that doesn't speak as much to acceleration as to the importance of highly gifted people receive good career counseling and to find work they find intellectually fulfilling and personally meaningful. That typically isn't work that is "done" or assigned by someone else. It tends to more often be work that is never entirely "done" - such as science research. There is always another part of the puzzle. If you are intellectually fulfilled by the process there is always more available to you. I'm sure we can find many examples of prodigies who were radically accelerated who have found work they find enjoyable and fulfilling.

Also, I would keep in mind that many talented people will not just have one career or one hobby for a lifetime. They may become highly competent in more than one field and them combine their interests in new and creative ways.

Originally Posted by Wren
In my experience, the results of attitude and inability to deal with the average person in the workplace -- who could be the boss, may not be so good.

I don't believe denying a child acceleration solves that problem. Spending years totally out of step with your peers doesn't promote positive social skills and in some cases can encourage the development of a really condescending attitude. People who are comfortable with themselves tend to have better ability to be kind and considerate toward others. It is hard to develop consideration if you don't receive a lot of it.