See what I get for jumping in so late in the game... lots of posts to respond to but where to start? [sigh]

First, Wren's idea of not accelerating her DD and trying to fulfill some of her needs horizontally. Why did this get a negative response? Wren and I are both in the early years of our DDs and we are both (like many) trying to figure it out and find the best solution for our individual child. Just as we hear from so many all the reasons why you shouldn't accelerate, perhaps we (on the board) should be accepting when one says they are not comfortable with accelerating. Clearly Wren is speaking from her own personal experience and she is using that as a part of why she doesn't want to with her daughter. What parent doesn't use personal experience? I find nothing wrong with stretching outward before going upward, so long as we, the parents, watch for telltale signs. I, too, am using the horizontal approach. DD has the added bonus of many languages from her school but she also does piano and is now doing enrichment work from home. DD is not ready to be accelerated because she is 'content' to be with her classmates. When she does show signs of frustration and boredom then we will consider it.

As for the conversation about jobs and interaction with coworkers, yeah ... sounds so familiar. Wren's example could have been pulled off a page of my own life journal. I never really considered myself gifted but knew I was different from the typical worker in the corporate world. I was great at my job but found myself soooo bored, especially when I wasn't moving up the chain as quickly as I had in the past. I was able to complete tasks in a fraction of the time that others could. I'm also very analytical and was able to see issues clearly when others hadn't a clue. I really did not fit into the corporate world, not because I wasn't capable of doing a great job, but because I was always frustrated with how everyone else couldn't do the same.

Hmmm ... I'm sure I have lots more to write but I need to go back through and read some of the posts.