Yes, I should clarify-- the problem is just how young DD is. (Currently 11 and already at college readiness level in many subject areas, but developmentally... eleven. )

Local CC basically has admission contingent upon: HS diploma, dual enrollment via accredited high school program, or GED-- or upon instructor permission. State rules prohibit anyone younger than 16 from taking GED exam.

In other words, individual instructor whim/permission is what this would leave us with, at the end of the day. Not ideal as an educational plan for the next three years.

The good news is that one can take AP exams as a homeschooler, and there are no age restrictions on those, so she could at least produce AP scores as "proof" of college-level readiness. The bad news is that she'd be doing AP coursework as independent study, which isn't ideal in terms of preparing her well for a variety of teaching styles and increasing her flexibility as a student.

I realize this is a touch off-topic for the thread, and my apologies for that. It's just that this is, ironically, also what is driving US out of mainstream education-- the output expectations in this data-mad microcosm run by education bureaucrats are frankly insane. As I noted elsewhere in the high school courses being dumbed down thread-- washing machines. I don't see any point in running my own kid through the heavy-duty, fast spin cycle just to prove that my cheetah can keep up with the current pack of wolves. If you'll forgive the mixed metaphors, that is.

Anyway. We're crunching the numbers and running cost-benefit analysis on the entire situation.

The cost of materials is a real concern, as is the loss of social interaction via the virtual school intranet. No easy answers, I fear-- at least not in our case.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.