I think everyone made good points. And obviously I realize a problem otherwise I wouldn't have DD in CTY to accelerate her math. Or put her in the science program.

And being different is part of it.

Choosing science is not so easy. I remember my Physics prof approaching me in lab one day. I missed class constantly and was totally shocked when he suggested I pursue physics at the graduate level. I thought about it for 10 minutes.

My very PG friend actually did physics for undergrad and then did her doctoral in nuclear engineering. She was shocked when I went to Wall Street (this is a friend since we were toddlers) and said how could I choose business? Two years after she went to work, "now I understand why you chose business" and went into plant management and 7 years later went into project management and etc. Always with the power utility. They gave her the flexibility. Though she is introverted and better at people skills than I.

Choosing science doesn't always work and being a risk taker and pushy gave me more points overall. But it comes with the roller coaster.

There is a father from a little boy in DD's K class last year. He has a PhD in biomechanics or something. Worked at Bell Labs for a while. Started a company that did well for a while then hit the dust and now is unemployed for a long time.

There is a nanny for a girl in Wila's class. She is a chemical engineer. Burned out as chemical engineer and told me many of her friends also switched careers. My father did R&D for a synthetic rubber company. Worked there for decades, retired with a nice package and benefits. That is what people did. They did their jobs. Got benefits. Benefits are gone, loyalty to one company and the mindset you can do this job for a lifetime doesn't work all the time. I think when you look at the path you lay out for your child, I mean educationally and extracurriculars, you have to look at your child. If your kid is going to be great in a research situation, great.

My PG friend's brother did college and medical school in 5 years, got great job offers after residency. Had a nervous breakdown when he was 40. He has a beautiful house on the river, a nice family. But he feels like he did everything right, it looks right but his life continues in a monotone. No heartaches, but without heartaches you cannot feel real joy either. Just steady, limbo.

Not easy making choices either way.

Ren