I do think you are making an excellent point, Wren. As a child, you are praised/encouraged for doing your work quickly. Acceleration is a good thing.
In the workplace, at most jobs, you have to work with other people who may be- not as bright as you, not as gifted, or even jealous of you. And unless you have incredible luck, you may have to stay in that job and learn to deal with it.
I really agree with you.
It took me a long, long time to realize that life isn't a big IQ/other test. It's interacting with people on their level. In many jobs, if your coworkers (or boss) are uncomfortable with you, you will not be successful, no matter how gifted you are. Or you will not be as successful as your potential dictates.
My son is bright, probably MG. He learns easily and is not learning lots of new things right now in second grade. We tell him- "this is the real world, kid. Learn ways to occupy yourself when you are done with the work and everyone is still catching up. Don't bother the teacher or the other kids." He isn't depressed or bored silly, as some kids are on this chat site. The other kids seem to really like him, and his social skills are good.