Originally Posted by heidik
Grinity You have made me feel so welcome . thank you for your reply. Have been reading recent posts and feel like ive "come home" in a sense because raising a child whom is so different than his peers can be so draining and having adhd on top of that-- oh boy!! His brain likes constant stimulation and if hes not thinking and concentrating he touches , mouths everything in sight.How old is your son now? By "immature" i meant his behaviour-- his brain is so advanced i think he gets fustrated that things dont move fast enough for him so he acts out like a much younger child. Love from London (which is grey and wet n windy today !)

Welcome! Welcome home!
so it ISN'T that we aren't good mothers! Although it feels that way in public sometimes! My son is 11.5 now, in 7th grade. I have to say that the wonderful thing about Middle School is that all the kids are 'falling apart' behaviorally due to trying to handle all the changing bodies, and he fits right in! Who would have thought. For my son, having a school which doesn't let anyone get away with anything is very helpful. He got detention for wearing white socks on Friday after repeated warnings! Yippee! It just eats into him watching kids 'do wrong' and not get caught or punished, so this school is really good for him because they have a punishment and they aren't afraid to use it.

At 7 he might have hit or pushed another kids when totally stressed, but that's about over now. He is making progress on his "Goldilocks Problem" - that is, needing more challenging material, but not having the patience to sit and do it if it seems one bit difficult. I think that's due to the gradeskip and finally having the experience of actually struggling on a weekly basis. Yes my son wiggles and chews. His school demands that they wear Memory Devices for the Computer to keep their work on, and he fingers, chews the cord, breaks them, disects pen, writes on his fingers.

I have heard that ADHD kids do tend to be less mature. I liked to say that my son may be acting out, but that, especially when he was unnacommidated around age 7 (his worst year, 2nd grade) he was actually mature, because the challenges he was facing were like 3 times larger than the ND child. Well I did like to say that, but I'm not sure how many people believed me!

Heidik,
I don't know if subject accelerations are allowed in your schools, but I hate to see a kid potentially miss a 'good-fit' school situation because of their behavior when the behavior may be caused by the 'poor-fit' of the school in the first place. KWIM? What are the details of your son's school situation?

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com