I think what's most important to us is that our kids stay challenged. I've seen the consequences of allowing kids to coast through too-easy curricula that don't teach them how to stare at a problem that seems too hard, think about it, and eventually find a way to solve it. This is an essential skill, and if not learned, can lead to giving up too easily.

So the skip to 4th would mean that the French work would be reasonably demanding and definitely interesting. The English stuff (~50% of the day) would probably still be too easy. This leads me to think that the new school might be a better option, but my husband and I need to ask about a skip there too --- mainly because I look ahead a couple years and don't know if they could accomodate him.

There is a local middle/high school for gifted kids that might be a good choice later.

A main reason that a formal skip is attractive is that it will give my eldest (and likely the next two) options when they're 16 or so. They could probably all finish high school by then, yet would probably be too young to leave for college. This period could be a free time in their lives when they could pursue internships, take random courses at a local community college (CC), etc. I especially like the CC idea because it would allow them to pursue random interests with no pressure to declare a major, which of course requires that you follow a defined path of study. One of our local CCs has an astronomical observatory, a biotech program, a strong art program, etc. etc. Of course, by then they'll be old enough to decide for themselves, but what I can appreciate as a grown up is what a wonderful gift a couple of years of unpressured time would be. A few ground rules from Mom and Dad plus a lot of choices for the kid could be so wonderful!

Val