Originally Posted by Dottie
That brings me to another point that I was just discussing with Gratified. We've found it very helpful to address that "best" subject the strongest. This should be the subject the child enjoys, not necessarily the one they are best in. In many cases, this is one and the same. For my son, it's clearly math.

I tend to think that in school, math is somehow the easiest to address with accelerations if it is an area that your child is at least somewhat interested in. First, math is really easy to prove that your child gets and to document the need for. Second, math is the area that elementary teachers seem to be the least confident in and are therefore the happiest to give up. Third, the sooner you get your math liking child away from math-hating elementary teacher and into the hands of a math loving HS-certified teacher the better.

DS is subject accelerated +3 in math now, even though I think that is is "weak" subject. He is not officially skipped at all in the humanities, even though he's reading and writing (not handwriting) about +6 to +8) these days. But his elem. teachers have enjoyed supplementing him in reading and writing. They love givinig him books that they have enjoyed reading and then discussing them with him. He gets very creative in his written work adn the teachers love it. There is just more room to go above and beyond in a humanities assignment than there is in math. In math, you have to be shown a few things and the elem teachers get freaked out if you get "creative".

We still do not have any real science, yet, so this has to be done at home. I'm not sure there is much hope for school science until AP in high school. Luckily, I'm strong in science and it's not DS's primary love.

Last edited by acs; 01/26/08 08:36 AM.