* What was the most challenging aspect of a grade skip? For us the most challenging aspect was getting the skip in the first place. We petitioned until we were blue in the face with our public district to no avail. We were forced to go private, but it was well worth it as I can not imagine either kid in lower grade at this point.
* Was one grade skip enough for your kids? Our eldest is already working on grade 5 maths at home and his I think his reading is at least at a grade 4 level. The new school will let him do 6th (or 7th) grade math in 3rd grade. One grade skip to a private school with a rigorous curriculum and into a class of very bright kids was perfect for our daughter. Early entrance for our YS son has not been enough. We wish we had been offered an additional skip while he was still in the lower grades.
* What about the socialization thing? I honestly don't think a one-year skip is a big deal, but I'd like to hear from others who have been there themselves or whose kids are there.
Our daughter skipped into a situation where she performs above average overall and is included with the more advanced group for math and science, yet is not beyond her peer group. Her socialization has been effortless and successful.
Our son is still well beyond the group in at least math and science and so stands out from the group. It wouldn�t be any better, and would possibly be worse, if he were in 5th grade rather than sixth grade though. He does take pre-algebra with half the 8th grade class where he gets As with very little effort. I think because he is so much younger (3 years) the eight grade students don't feel as threatened by him as some of the students who are closer in age do.