Mary, I did read the book and maybe its just me, but I still can't figure it out, my DD is a real "slippery fish". I think she just wants a diagnosis and a magic pill so badly at this point she may not be as helpful in self reporting.

For example, the book says gifted children are more likely to "choose consciously not to complete work as directed or choose not to turn it in - choice is involved" whereas the child with ADHD is unable to complete the work because no immediate consequence is involved or they may not even have brought the assignment or book home. Both scenarios could fit equally well. Then there is situational specificity: she is not consistently distracted and can sit still for hours and hours reading (so focused she forgets to eat or sleep even). The book says:

"Parents of gifted children who do not have ADHD will quickly say for instance, "oh, yes. She's passionate about reading, and when she reads, she's as unmoving as a stone. She would read for hours if we let her, and she is unaware of virtually everything around her" Such a child is very unlikely to have ADHD"

So that leaves me confused, she seems to have the traits of ADHD and the traits of gifted without ADHD.

I bought the Nordic Naturals Omega 3 which has both types, I also bought soy-milk with dha, flax-seed cereal and every form of salmon known to exist. So far my DD hasn't tried the pills but my husband and I are taking them and I feel great!!!!

I gave my DD the pills to try and she came home in a great mood, and was unusually sociable and pleasant and we played with musical instruments together for a couple hours, when I asked her if she thought the pills were making a difference she told me she "palmed them" to see if I would incorrectly attribute them to an imagined change in her. So she is messing with my psyche. Did I mention that we diagnosed her with oppositional defiant disorder after reading that section of the misdiagnosis book? ;-). Maybe if the doctor tells her to take the fish pills she will do it.