Originally Posted by Nik
She has always been a bit of a handful at home, but I didn�t realize that the constant questioning of rules was just a gifted issue and the lack of organizational/planning/time management skills was something more than laziness. I only started to think there was a real problem when she couldn�t pull it together to write her college application essays in a timely manner for the school she desperately wanted to go to.

Refusal to comply or questioning rules is not only a gifted issue, it's also an AS issue. They have trouble recognizing the social hierarchy and that other people, by virtue of their roles, are allowed to give them instructions.

Worst case scenario: There are a few news stories every year about people on the autism spectrum who don't recognize that the police have authority over them and can't comply, and get into serious trouble. Rare because of watchful parents, but it happens.

Originally Posted by Nik
I think that's probably true Grinity, but I don't think that was what this Psych was saying, I really got the uncomfortable impression that he saw the purpose of medication as being to make the student more compliant/acceptable to the school. Hopefully I was wrong there, but I got the feeling he really didn�t even read my DD�s case file beyond IQ scores.

You DO want someone to actually pay attention to the details of her behavior. At least, that's what we have come to expect from our developmental pediatrician who prescribes meds. If it takes an hour for me to weigh pros and cons with her and feel confident in her decision, she takes an hour.

And yet-- the way you frame this here concerns me. I don't think it's helpful to see your DD as though her raw giftedness will be altered/muted/taken away by meds. It's likely the opposite is true; by helping her manage her neurological quirks, meds could help her be the person she wants to be.

Compliance is NECESSARY for social functioning. Just try to hold almost any job without being able to comply with safety rules or the rules of the job. Understanding whose rules to follow is something most people have mastered. by your DD's age. I know the doc's phrasing was a turnoff-- and I wouldn't blame you for seeking another doc-- but raw giftedness alone without the social skills to manage it is not such a gift, as you've seen.

If meds can ease her stress and help her manage, I'd encourage you to stick with it.

DeeDee

Last edited by DeeDee; 03/21/11 04:42 AM. Reason: added paragraph