Originally Posted by Nik
Verona, does your son put together legos or models for hours too? My DD would make great clay creatures and spend lots of time putting in details, she also would spend a lot of time practicing an instrument, is there a difference between hyper-focusing and just choosing to focus on what you are interested in and choosing not to do stuff that seems pointless?
Yes, he does focus for long periods of time on drawing, legos, and computer stuff as well as reading. Other posters have said that some children with attention problems *can* pay attention but it takes much more effort than a child without an attention issue and might not seem "worth it" for uninteresting tasks. Or they might "use up" their paying attention capacity and become difficult and emotional (I see this in DS).

I should also mention that we don't have a diagnosis of ADHD for DS10 and I am still very much on a learning curve! From what I have been reading here, our psy. maybe didn't do all the testing needed to figure out what's wrong. He said NVLD (based on WISC scatter and a reading and writing evaluation), but there seems to be such overlap between NVLD, ADHD, EF dysfunction, and some aspects of Aspergers that I'm not totally convinced.