Originally Posted by Nik
Thanks Mich, that makes sense.

Given that ADHD meds are not an option due to medical conditions, I guess I was a bit bummed out at what seemed to be an attitude of "well if we can qualify her for ADHD meds, our job is done and we need look no deeper" but maybe that is just what it is.

The psych stated that the only alternative to meds was homeschooling! What does that mean long term?

Well, in both the long-term and short-term I'd say it means you need a new psych.

In absence of meds-- or even with them-- what needs to happen is an emphasis on teaching coping skills and adaptations while the school offers accommodations like perimeter seating, homework changes (all homework assigned Monday and due Friday, Mom can decide when there's been enough work done for the day, only requiring enough work be done to show mastery rather than the 40 problems assigned the class, etc), untimed or small group testing, etc. The school counsellor can meet with the child to work on executive functioning skills if she's able; theoretically that's the job of an OT but as long as it gets done I don't quibble. (You can google accommodations to find common ones.)

Last edited by eldertree; 03/21/11 03:24 AM.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."