Originally Posted by Nik
"significant cognitive processing deficits in the areas of executive functions" (no surprise there), and despite "average to above average academic achievement in all academic areas", "ADHD, primarily inattentive type", "pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified" and "situational depression" typical of students attempting to cope with learning or attention control differences. And although criteria was met for borderline Aspergers, it was determined that the overlaps most likely were actually due to ADHD.

Nik, I'm glad you're starting to find answers, even though they are not neat and tidy answers.

It's curious that they said borderline Aspergers-- if they already diagnosed PDD-NOS, the Asperger's diagnosis would be superfluous, as both PDD-NOS and Asperger's are on the autism spectrum. They'll be folded into one "autism spectrum" diagnosis in the next DSM anyway.

Meds were one of the best things we ever did for our child on the spectrum. Nobody really wants to put their kid on meds. But taking away his anxiety allowed him some relief from suffering and also allowed him to access the therapies he was getting. He was more able to control himself, and therefore felt better about himself-- the meds helped us achieve an upward instead of downward spiral.

I hope you can come to feel at ease with this choice. It won't be "magic," for sure, but I do hope it will help your DD. You can PM me if you want to talk about details.

DeeDee