Aimee,

It's good to think about these things before you have kids! Everyone has some vision in mind of what it will be like to be a parent and what their child(ren) will be like. If we didn't, why would we have children? So that's not necessarily a bad thing.

But the reality of becoming a parent is all about accepting the child you are given. This is not limited to whether or not they are gifted, of course. I am talking about the broad spectrum of intellectual and physical abilities, of temperments, interests, even appearance. I don't think I really GOT this until after I had my first child, by the way blush . When it was time for a second child, though, the responsibility seemed daunting to say the least. It took me years to get up the courage!

On the other hand, nature has prepared you and your husband (in ways that you won't fully understand until it happens!) to accept your child. It is good for you to discuss these things as a couple, but I don't think you can really know how he will respond to his own child based on his reactions to other people's children.

Look for some books on child development and some books on giftedness for you both to read and talk about.

Best wishes!

Cathy

Last edited by Cathy A; 02/19/08 11:35 AM.