Was anyone else not identified gifted as a child? I was never identified, went to a small rural catholic school, and was never skipped, accelerated, etc etc etc. And my parents were quite hands off. Which I think almost everyone was at that time.

I had a miserable elementary school experience. I knew I was different, but I didn't know how. I really thought something was wrong with me. I was also very shy and sensitive. Anyway, even having that knowledge would have been very powerful. I basically underachieved and daydreamed to survive. I was totally depressed there.

High school was much better. It was a larger public school that had a group of geeks and it was ok to be one. I also was involved in many extra curriculars. But belive me, I wrote notes and read books in class with the best of them! I did fractions of assigned reading in history books, etc. Anyway - I probably don't have the best work ethic to this day. College wasn't much of a stretch either. I wish I would have pursued something I had a bit more passion about. I pursued technical degrees - which for me were just easy.

Anyway - I really am sensitive to our kids not having an ideal elementary school experience. My husband and I are still not totally on the same page on how to deal with this. And my DS7 is a lot like the boys some of you talked about. Not incredibly excited about learning. Which is sad. I feel like he was as a preschooler and a year and a 1/2 of regular school has made him a bit jaded.