Originally Posted by kimck
Was anyone else not identified gifted as a child?

Sort of. I was tested a couple of times and did not qualify, although I vividly remember being TERRIFIED of the tester and the test. I was later put in the program because my teachers pushed it and got me in via portfolio assessment. I always excelled in school and I'm now a mathematician. I am sure I am gifted and that I would do well on an IQ test now. As a child, however, I was extrememly shy, and I also got nervous over things like that.

Ironically, we're going through the same thing with my older DD. She's been referred twice, but she doesn't do well enough on the NNAT to qualify for services. I am sure she is gifted, but she is NOT visual-spatial. She's very verbal. She is grouped with the GT kids for reading, and she helps her GT friends with math. I hope she will get into the program through her OLSAT in the spring. I'm frustrated with the process, but it helps that I had a similar experience, I guess.

As far as high school goes, DH and I were able to challenge ourselves through AP/dual enrollment. My freshman year of college was actually easier than my senior year of high school. I can't say that I was really appropriately challenged in college. Graduate school was the real challenge for me. I'd love to go back!