Originally Posted by confused
I think because we have such good imaginations we think a lot about what an ideal response or behavior would have/ should have been so when we are only pretty good we fall short of what could have/ should have been the best in our mind.

Grinity I'm glad you bumped this, I missed it somehow before. I am definitely guilty of this. I feel like I know what the ideal response/behavior should be in most instances and when that isn't what happens it makes me feel bad/sad/less than what I think I should be or what I think the situation should be. I have spend a lot of time feeling like I could have done/said something better to make the outcome more as I thought it should be. I've gotten better about it as I've gotten older though but I still tend to second guess myself, especially in my conversations with people. I'm never sure I am coming across as I mean to.

To quote Grinity "I know I'm not the only one here who compared themselves to characters in books, which is natural for us, because the only person who was remotely "like me" was to be found in my reading."

I'd love to know who you compared yourself to! I don't know if the characters in the books I compared myself to were like me or if they were just like who I wanted to be. I loved "Anne of Green Gables" and her wild imagination and Meg with her intelligence and courage from "A Winkle in Time" (still don't know how to underline) as well as tons of others. I was more the shy, bookish girl who lived adventurously through the books I read. (((smiles))) You've brought back some great memories! :-)