Originally Posted by kcab
Peace!

Oh, I'm 100% with you on the peace! As I said, I meant only respectful and cheerful discussion. laugh I wasn't picking on you or trying to fight. Just interested in your take on this topic.

Your posts have made me really have to think, and I like that. Truth be told, I never really considered what "gifted" meant before this conversation. You made me have to think about it, to consider why the word didn't bother me. That's useful to me, and I'm grateful!

I am indeed coming to the conclusion that I don't agree with your take on this matter--though I didn't know that for sure at the start this discussion--but I absolutely believe that you have every right to your opinion, and I really appreciate your sharing it with me. As a former teacher of argumentative writing (I'm sure that comes as a surprise...NOT!), I place a lot of value on discussing issues with those with whom I disagree even after I realize that I disagree. It's how I a) clarify my own thoughts, and b) test my beliefs--sometimes I decide to change my mind as a result, and sometimes I just reconfirm that my beliefs make sense for me. Both have value.

The one thing I wasn't trying to do was change your mind. I don't know you, really, so I have no investment one way or another in your beliefs. I was actually trying to be sure of my own beliefs on the matter, and I was responding to your question. (Always beware of asking me even a rhetorical question...I will feel compelled to answer! LOL!)

Plus I thought that maybe I'm the only one here who feels this way. If you're speaking for the majority, then I'd kind of like to know that, too.

I hope I didn't offend you. That was not my intention whatsoever! I respect you, respect your right to believe whatever you believe. I hope you DON'T go away! I'm glad that it sounds like you probably won't. You're very interesting to talk with!

May I ask one more question? (And please, feel free to ignore me if I'm being a nuisance! You made it clear that you wouldn't be at all sorry to let this drop. I hear you!)
Originally Posted by kcab
I don't know, part of this is that, to me, the word "gifted" has value/judgement overtones. The phrase "natural ability" isn't burdened in the same way.

To what "value/judgement overtones" are you referring? Elitism? Something else? I'm not sure I'm following you, and I'd like to.

Thanks! smile

Kriston