It's funny that you write this. Before my DH and I had kids, we, too, worried a great deal about how we would handle it if we had a ND (Normally Developing) child, since GT ran in both our families.

We figured GT we knew pretty well--though that's been a LOT harder than we thought it would be, since child #1 was a lot more GT than we expected him to be!--and a child with serious birth defects or some such problem is hard, but something we felt like we could wrap our heads around. You don't expect that kid to get straight As, you know? But a kid who was a solid C student on his/her best day--that worried us about the kind of parents we'd be. How would we handle it?

The bright side: I think we forgot that we have a good 3 or 4 years with a child before grades and school and that sort of learning matter. Our DS3.5's GT status (or not) is still unclear to us. He may be ND, he may be very differently GT than DS6.5, or he may be 2E (GT with some yet undiagnosed LD). We don't know. But I don't think it has mattered one whit yet. We adore him. He's such a wonderful kid! He's sweet and charming and funny and cuddly, and if it turns out that C is the best grade he ever gets, well, then we'll find something else that he's good at outside of the traditional school subjects.

Naturally, if he does turn out to have some LD, we'll move heaven and earth to get him help. But if this is normal and appropriate for him, then we're happy. We just want what any parent wants: we want him to be a healthy, happy, contributing member of society.

You're going to love that child regardless of his/her IQ. It's not at all the problem I thought it would be. I totally know why you're worried, but I really don't think you need to. That part's EASY; it's EVERYTHING ELSE about parenting that's HARD!

laugh

Kriston