I have read these posts with great interest. Recently, another parent and I had a conversation about school. She began to say how everyone is gifted and every parent calls their child gifted. The overuse of this word by the school system has made it where no one is truly gifted anymore. I don't care for the word, but last year our school labeled some gifted children with Superior Cognitive Ability. Not sure which one is worse. I wonder if the label gifted is overused by schools or parents and lost its intended meaning?

My younger brother was a child prodigy in music. I agree with previous posts that even the most talented or "gifted" need proper training. Some things such as pitch or reading music came naturally to him, but he still needed to master his chosen instrument. I saw how hard he worked, but it was fun for him as it was his passion. He ended up majoring as a conductor and is traveling the world with various symphony orchestras. It makes me wonder how many child prodigies are not discovered due to lack of exposure or training?