Thanks for putting that into words for me, Cathy! I have done battle with the idealism/realism balance my whole life, although it doesn't seem to show up with my son.

With him I notice that finding educational materials that are complicated enough to be interesting, and easy enough to get past his limited frustration tolerance is very challenging. I call it the Goldilocks Problem - this book is too easy! this book is too hard!

I think that if he hadn't been subjected to so many years of such a large mis-fit of educational challenge that his frustration tolerance would be greater, and I have seen slow improvements over the years.

I also know that when the knife edge of balance seems impossibly small, I remind myself that we have a "Goldilocks Problem" and prepare for what looks like a tantrum as my son fights, as if he's fighting for his life, against the tiny little space that his unwillingness to tolerate frustrations has left him. Messy, but I have such hope that this will help him grow into an adult who will be able to follow his dreams.

Love and More Love,
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com