I'm home schooling, too, and loving it for many of the same reasons as you, Esperanza. Certainly it saved DS from a truly horrendous first grade year this year!

But home schooling has its own drawbacks as well--having to work harder to get DS social time, his getting instruction and discipline almost exclusively from me, less time for me to spend with my younger child, not getting time to finish my own projects, etc.

I'm a firm believer that every potention schooling solution is a trade-off: give up something (money, time, or individualized education) and get something else. It's all about the specific priorities that each family has chosen. We've certainly yet to find an easy answer for our situation that solves all our problems! For many people, given the constraints of their lives and schools, the best available option is multiple grade skips. Heck, if homeschooling and a local private ($$$) gifted school don't work for us for next year for one reason or another, pushing for grade skips is probably what we'll do.

But I'm hoping one of the other options will work. I REALLY don't feel like advocating for DS to get what he needs. It's just too depressing and exhausting, and I'm REALLY bad at it! frown

(And DS is only 6! I swear, I don't know how those of you with older kids have dealt with the advocacy stuff for so long. I admire you! I wish I were better at it.)

Kriston