Originally Posted by acs
But not all of us! I skipped first and, while it was not the worst thing that could have happened to me, I did not like it. I had good friends who I was separated from; I had trouble making friends in my new grade; I was not any more challenged academically in my new grade than my old one, but the top kids I displaced in the new grade resented me; I was going to go through puberty late anyway and the extra year behind put me way out of synch with my classmates; My siblings resented that I was a grade closer to them. I remember feeling like I had "fit" in my old grade and I never felt like was able to totally connect with the new class. .... Of course, we have no way of knowing how things would have turned out if I hadn't skipped--maybe things would have gone downhill after first grade without the skip. We'll never know.

Hi Acs,
I'll bet you really enjoyed seeing the IASM advice NOT to skip if it puts the child into an older sibling's grade! Although I have seen it work well if the older sib is female, or the younger sib is Level IV or above. Short didn't matter, Clumsy didn't matter, but irritating the older sibs is apparently a common deal breaker. Actually Clumsy helps as it take the parents off the hook on the sports argument, which I think is a reasonable one for Athletic Families, like the Scholarship Argument which may be reasonable, or may not be since working below level can interfere with grades and intellectual development, but needs to be thought about seriously.

This reminds me of Miraca Gross's perspective, that for PG kids, a single gradeskip is essentially equal to no accomidation at all. = Perhaps you needed more gradeskips to get the academics? I think I did. I'm thinking about the time that Ruff says a Level III or more kid needs to complete elementary school, which I can't remember right now, but seems to be really short.

I remember thinking that my son would have been better off locked in a closet with his video games all day while I worked, than in 2nd grade, and perhaps I should pull him from elementary school and let him watch cartoon until Middle School! ((Humor Alert - that's how I Felt, ok?)) Yes, this was before I found Internet Support, can you tell?

One thing I know is true, that whatever path I had taken as a child, I would have had plenty of complaints about it, because I'm critical by nature. Perhaps someday I will invent a way to experience every option and live every path at once, but for now, it is like being trapped on the Flat Planet of A Wrinkle in Time. But I have grown very fond of this odd Flat World,KWIM?

Here's some of Gross's work - be warned that the IQ scores she throws around are old SB-LM score, so you're kid's 140 is about like a 170, ok? As if we weren't confused enough! ((Total Trinity Seat of Pants Estimate Warning))

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10028.aspx

Love and More Love,
Trinity