The other problem that can arise with grade-skipping, even radical grade-skipping, is the issue of pacing.

For example, my kid could attend a high school Algebra course this year. But it will likely only take him half the time to learn the entire courseload of material. He will *want* to progress forward after that. Because we homeschool, he can still learn high school Algebra, but at his own pace. If he wants to do 2 or 3 lessons per day for a month, and then slow down to 1 lesson per day, that's fine. If he blows through 4 lessons on a rainy weekend, because he wants to do it, that's fine, too. If he was grade-skipped, he would still need to stay at the same pace with his class.

I know that no school is going to provide the ideal education for every child, and I do see the value in compromising. If I had to work outside the home, I'd definitely be doing more advocating for my kid within the public school system. Luckily, for now, we can afford for me to not work in order to homeschool.