After reading this thread, I am feeling even more strongly that perhaps we should try early entrance to first grade for our DS4 (almost 5). Depending on what kind of testing results we get, maybe even pursue second grade. Any advice? I think this situation is a little different because we are starting out with an awareness of his abilities before he is even eligible for elementary school.

How much is too much to skip for a child who hasn't even been to kindergarten?

We are considering early entrance mainly because we HAVE seen signs of withdrawal, boredom, disinterest, and a general unhappiness in school. Last year, DS was the youngest in a three year class of 3/4/5 yr. olds. It worked beautifully. This year is not working at all(as several of you have read in another thread.) He will say things like, "It's too hard. I'm too little. I can't do that. I'm only four." Then we sit down and read a book together at least on a first or second grade level. He has lost the "spark." I have a significant fear that if we do not find an appropriate environment, the snowball will just continue to grow.

Granted, this is just preschool we are talking about. But if DS is truly a Ruf Level 4, give or take a little, then I'd rather start the skipping process early and get it over with for now. Of course, that's how I feel about this coming school year. High school?! OH MY GOSH. I'm glad we have awhile to wait.

This forum is so fabulous. I am eternally grateful to have found such a group.

Allison