As a grade-skipped child and a parent who is now contemplating grade-skipping a child, I can honestly say that this is never an easy decision!

My own grade skip was the best thing that could have happened to me. I was in a first/second grade split class for first grade, and was doing all the second grade work. I moved to second grade -- and after a week they realized I needed something more. I was moved up to third grade and did fine there -- made friends, no problems. It may have been easier for me because many of the third graders were familiar with me from my first/second split class.

I never had any problems with being the "younger kid." No, I didn't drive until my junior year was almost over -- people came and picked me up! I started dating at 14/almost 15, which was right for me. I wasn't teased for being young (I was teased for other things, like most children are at some point!). I couldn't drink (legally) until my senior year of college was almost over (March birthday). Of course, I'm a girl, and some people think feel that sex makes a difference in the decision to grade skip.

Which brings me to my own ds ... 5 years old and newly identified PG. The psychologist who did his testing (experienced with gifted children) recommended that we do a grade skip now with further acceleration in reading and math.

When I look at the "social issues" for boys ... I'm not that impressed. I think being teased has less to do with size or sports ability than it does to do with personality and vulnerability -- issues that would likely be there if the child were grade skipped or not. I know plenty of tiny adult men who were *not* teased as children. And plenty of normal-sized adult men who *were*. It seems to have more to do with confidence and humor and general personality and a whole host of other issues; being small just give the bully an easy in. This is such a personal issue that I think it is reckless to say, "Smaller boys will get teased in school; therefore, I will not skip my child." And this is an issue to me; I am 5'3" and ds's dad is 5'7", so our ds will not be big in his group whether we skip him or not.

For sports, there are plenty of sports options outside of school. There are tons of private club sports out there. My ex-h played on a selective soccer team right through high school, choosing to play with this select team over joining his school team (he'd have been a shoo-in).

My two cents as a newbie. :-)

Mia