DS10 did testing for the phase 2 of acceleration child study this past week. He took end of 6th grade math test, the ACT, and I think a cold writing prompt. (School admin said it was on lists of tests, but DS10 didn't tell me about it. Yet? IDK)

He took a practice ACT a while back for a starting point and got an 18. District average is 21, for reference. He thought he did better on the real ACT than on the practice one. I'm curious, I don't expect his score to be any higher than his practice test though. He was not well rested and didn't have breakfast on those test days so I wouldn't be surprised if he scores lower. (We've had a rough week, not ideal timing for testing! I have been struggling with more intensity of chronic pain my treatment plan for chronic illness not work and a surgery too, so I have not been good about keeping our family on daily routines this week.)

Anyhow, update for those curious. Process is still going. Feels like a snail's pace but DS10 is happy so I'm still not concerned and am enjoying not being responsible for his education.

I have IEP meeting. They were not clear about whether he'd be evaluated against district norms or his ability. I'm guessing they'll come back with not eligible. Fair enough for 5th grade. Just wait until he's accelerated and can't function. But now I know I should be asking for 504 rather than IEP. Oops. Live and learn.