Sanne - I wasn't focusing on the computational math but on your ds's internal sense of time and his avoidance behavior.

My ds11 too has had plenty of testing and seen many experts, but none of them uttered the word dyscalculia or stealth dyslexia yet my ds definitely has no internal sense of time. Zilch. Ds has ADHD and PDD traits and symptoms, but it's the sense of time that unhinges him.

Ds goes into a complete tailspin with anything timed. He has avoided timed math facts since he's been homeschooled and had a bit of a traumatic time when he was in a private gifted school and made to do timed math drills in kindergarten, no less. He just can't get the words out quick enough for math drills or make his fingers get to the right keys on a keyboard to answer quickly enough in time.

And yes, there is a genetic component here -- ds has dyspraxia and other family members do too as well as stealth dyslexia. I've got family members who also have no sense of time, zilch.

Playing the piano or any instrument requires a sense of timing, I believe, as well as great auditory skills. If you don't have an internal sense of time, then you're more likely to avoid picking up an instrument.

Even with stealth dyslexia (https://www.understood.org/en/commu...-some-dyslexic-students-escape-detection) - you can have good focus and attention -- but with using fMRI scanners to study the brains of students with stealth dyslexia. Researchers found that their brain wiring did indeed show the classic features of dyslexia. This confirmed they really are dyslexic.

This particular researcher - found that when they read, they show heightened activity in parts of the brain that help with executive function and self-control. Their comprehension appears to be strong because they compensate for their decoding problems by using their attention and problem-solving skills in especially active ways.

Maybe a fMRI scan would confirm the issue? I'm trying to find an answer for the question myself.

Last edited by 75west; 06/19/17 04:06 AM.