@75west, I started laughing out loud at "internal sense of time". None. 😂 And coming unglued at timed math facts. I was so frustrated and disappointed as I LOVED timed math fact tests when I was that age! You're right, he can't get the words out before he forget the thought.

I will have to listen more carefully to his music. He generally plays with a metronome. hmmmm.... He's musically talented, but feels intimidated by learning new music. Takes him a long time to go through the process of reading music. He enjoys playing after he has figured out the notes. He balks at reading the notes. He decided one of his pieces assigned this week is "hard" and is refusing to work on it. Ironically - and predictably - it's easier than his other piece assigned for this week, and easier than each of the three pieces he learned last week. 😖 He cannot be convinced otherwise. I'm annoyed to waste the lesson money, time and travel cost for a lesson that he's not well-prepared for. He outgrew his first piano teacher after 6 weeks. His current teacher is a professor, and private lessons are costing as much as if he took them for college credit. The quality of instruction is fabulous and exactly what he needs, but then he pulls out his "I can't do it" card. Frustration!

I will reread the links. Thank you for clarifying.