Originally Posted by chay
A couple more random thoughts that came as I was reading through the many excellent posts.

I ruptured my ear drum a few years ago. It took a couple months before my hearing returned and was an eye opening experience. About a week after it happened we went to a friend's place with about 20 people to hang out. It was unbearable. I was completely unable to focus enough on one conversation since there was so much background noise. We ended up leaving after about 30 min because I couldn't function. One on one wasn't a problem.

You had a question about if you would also see inconsistencies at home and in my experience - not necessarily (or at least not unless you know exactly what you're looking for). My DS was fine at home. He is very inquisitive and we talk about a LOT of things but all of his learning at home was aural or visual (in his case his strong suits). He is also able to pursue things of his own interest and at his own pace and this works great for him. Sitting in a classroom learning to count money for the third week in a row did now work for him. Compound onto that that he had to actually write out things and then things got really ugly. His specific LD is low processing speed and low working memory which for now mostly shows itself in his writing output. He's able to compensate for a lot of things with his other strengths so it isn't always obvious. I also have a friend who's DD is 2e and has managed to fly under the radar until grade 4. She was able to memorize books and use the pictures to fool the teachers into thinking she could read when she couldn't.

Anyway, there are a lot of reasons other than LD that might explain things (I'm just biased because of my experience). Hopefully you'll get some answers for her that will help you.

DD's infections are bizarre. She has always been asymptomatic and expresses no pain. When the ear drum burst she seemed fine. I stumbled upon it when doing her hair. Ped commented that she was shocked DD was letting her touch it as most kids would want to jump off the table.

Your post made me think of a comment made by the teacher in regards to a spelling test DD didn't do well on. She has been getting 12/12 on all pretests. I suggested that she speak directly to DD and not at a distance in case hearing is part of the problem right. Her response was that is not DD's issue she hears fine because she completed work earlier in the day just fine. Following with DD is in first grade and unlike K there is more students (4 more to be exact) and there isn't an aid. She said she can't do one on one. She is here to help not entertain.

Last edited by jholland1203; 10/04/13 01:41 PM.